When it comes to an engine oil change, it is suggested that you need an oil change at the interval of three months or three thousand miles. But the scenario has drastically changed and the concept has become outdated especially for the new vehicle models. So the question is which is the right time to change your engine oil? In this blog, I have come up with detailed information on the concept of engine oil change to solve all your queries related to this.
Factors that determine how often your vehicle needs an oil change
In the past the two major factors that determined the frequency of oil change were miles covered and the interval period as mentioned above-three months or 3000 miles. However the concept has become more personalized as engines and oil have become more sophisticated and advanced. For modern cars here are the factors that influence the timing of your engine oil change.
- The condition in which you drive regularly — believe it or not, frequent long trips are easier on your vehicle than the short ones. This is because short trips mainly cover inner city driving which are heavy on your engine and necessitate more frequent oil changes.
- The type of vehicle you use — oil change requirements are different for different models of cars
- The age of your car — as we all know older car requires more care and the same theory applies when it comes to an oil change. Older cars need more oil change than new ones
When should you get your engine oil changed?
The answer to this question is hidden in the owner’s manual which contains the manufacturer’s recommendations on the right time for your car oil change Toronto. In case you own a modern car and use synthetic oil, the time duration and miles you can cover before an oil change can be surprising for you. Manufacturers usually recommend change oil at every 5000 to 10000 miles. Some people push those limits further. Owners are always recommended to change their engine oil as soon as they can. However they can stretch it a bit by covering a hundred mile or so but exceeding even that limit means you are only pushing your luck.
Warning signs that indicate your vehicle needs an immediate oil change
If you are not sure about exactly when your car needs an oil change, you can look out for the following signs
- The smell of burning oil: If you notice a burning oil smell inside the cabin, then it could be due to oil leakage.
- Change in color and consistency: the color of clear engine oil is translucent and amber. As the oil starts working, it gradually picks up debris, due to which the color turns black and gritty. Keep a watch on the color and consistency by removing the dipstick. If you can’t see the dipstick through the oil, then its a clear sign that your vehicle needs an oil change.
- Noisy engine: Oil prevents the engine’s moving parts from grinding against each other. Due to lack of lubrication, the engine starts to make a loud knocking sound which means you will need to get an oil change before the engine overheats and stops functioning.
- Warning light in the Dashboard: The oil change light usually appears when there’s not enough oil in the car. The check engine light indicates that things may have gotten so bad that the engine is at risk of getting damaged. Either way, your vehicle will need to be inspected as soon as possible.
Oil change is one of the vital parts of your car maintenance delaying which can seriously harm it. so it is always better to not to wait to see how long your car can continue without an oil change. When you realize the need of it, take it to a trustable car oil change service provider to fix the issue as soon as possible.